Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Futbol Reigns as Number One

Imagine a Red Sox-Yankees world series and people in New York are dawning Red Sox paraphernalia after the Yanks lose in extra innings.  That is how the streets of Barcelona are after they win or lose a regular futbol game.  I’m not saying envision riots, but envision extremely hyper and overexcited fans. Futbol is like our magnified baseball or American football.  The followers are intense.  They literally eat, breath, and sleep FC Barcelona, the world renowned team. This is yet another area that proves how vivacious and energetic Barcelon-ians are.  The Spanish are known for being passionate and the areas of sports are certainly not over-looked. On game day, everyone, and I mean everyone is out at the local bar watching the game in their navy blue and red number ten Messi jerseys (Everyone, including myself).              
The Legend "Leo" Messi 
The Stadium 
One particular game is forever implemented in my memories.  I was at a local bar on Las Ramblas with all of my friends in our jerseys, watching Barcelona dominate Milan.  And in what seemed like an instant, Milan won the game.  Hearts were shattered and many did not wish to continue with the festivities of bar hopping.  We Americans didn’t see it as ‘that big of a deal’, so we went in search of a more upbeat crowd. We never found it.  People were screaming in the streets, but screaming in agony.  To my dismay, I was already in the States when Spain won the world cup.  Nevertheless, I was sitting at my local New Jersey bar with my Messey jersey on, watching the craziness and what seemed to be a riot on television in Madrid and Barcelona.  But, it was only a bunch of die-heart, spirited futbol fans. 
Futbol Fans wearing the FC Barcelona Jersey 
Futbol Fans!

Spain Wins World Cup 2010!


No comments:

Post a Comment